Conventional fire suppression systems include water that can lead to high damage to sensitive systems such as power plants, control centers, or commercial spaces with electronic devices that store important documents. Clean agent fire suppression systems are the best option for such spaces as they can eliminate the fire with gas that won’t cause any harm to electronics. Clean Agent Fire Suppression Systems are widely used fire protection systems especially in commercial buildings comprising of electronic devices.
What is Clean Agent Fire Suppression Systems?
A clean agent fire suppression system is generally included with 3 parts: smoke detectors, the control panel, and notification devices. The smoke detectors will usually detect a fire before it turns into an uncontrolled situation. It will send the signal to the control panel, which will, in turn, warn the notification devices and trigger the release of specific substances to suppress the fire. The notification devices will alert the residents when the clean agent is about to be released.
What Are the highly used Clean Agent Fire Suppression System?
- First in the list of Common clean agent systems is the FM-200 system that comprises liquid gas, which vaporizes when released. This specific system eliminates the supply of oxygen to the fire and absorbs the heat effectively.
- The Inergen System comprises inert gases such as nitrogen, argon, and carbon dioxide to restrict the levels of oxygen and curb the spreading of fires. The concentration of various gas is safe for humans even with the presence of carbon dioxide in the mixture. With the release of this Inergen System’s concentration of gases, it comes back to a natural state.
- The EmNovec 1230 Clean Suppression System makes use of a similar liquid that is vaporized when released. This is similar to other clean suppression systems as it cuts the presence of oxygen around a fire and stops its spread.
- CO2 Fire Suppression Systems is also employed as a clean agent system but in places that are minimally occupied. This is due to the reason that carbon dioxide can lead to health risks and even death for high exposures.
What Are the Best Clean Agent Fire Suppression Systems?
- Several unique factors go into selecting the perfect clean agent fire suppression system for your precise requirements. Even all the above-mentioned ones are highly proficient in suppressing fire, they possess their exclusive requirements and advantages. A particular system may be less costly than another and may need more changes to the structure that is safeguarded. One system may need minimal changes but others may be kept far from the region being safeguarded. A clean agent fire suppression expert from a skilled and experienced fire protection company must be capable to analyze the specific requirements, explain various options, and aid you in selecting the best one for your necessities.
- When you are analyzing the best clean agent suppression system to be implemented into your structure, there are few important aspects to be considered. There must be attention to the area and type of equipment to safeguard, the area needed for the clean agent cylinders, and the location of cylinders and their vicinity to the protection region. As mentioned earlier, inert gases are least effective and need more agents relative to the chemical agents and hence need more quantity or larger capacity cylinders to safeguard the same region. Inert gas systems can be placed far from the sensitive region due to the cylinder pressure and smooth flow of the inert gas via the release pipes. FM-200TM and NovecTM 1230 systems are essential to be located close to the protected region as these compressed liquids will not flow easily as inert gases, demanding minimal distance between the storage cylinder and release pipes.
Effects of Clean agent suppression systems:
- Clean agent fire suppression systems are harmless to be employed in residential regions, will need minimal or no clean-up after discharge, and are also safe to the environment with little Global Warming Potential (GWP). These systems are intended to offer optimal safety for tiny enclosed rooms comprising of sensitive records or types of equipment. Clean agent fire suppression systems are unique to traditional fire sprinkler systems using water or foam that may generate more harm than the actual fire.
- Clean agent suppression systems are released and reach necessary concentration levels in minimal time as 10 seconds, eliminating out a fire before it causes disaster. They are intended exclusively to eliminate fires, distinct from traditional sprinklers that are intended to manage the fire till fire safety personnel come to the scene.
- The “clean” in fire suppression clean agents are proven to be safe to be used in residential regions as the included concentration of gases is not toxic to humans. The probability of contact to the clean agent in the fire suppression system is very less if the adequate alarm systems are working to give residents ample time to leave the premises.
- Damaged electronics, wet carpet, and spoiled furniture are common signs of a traditional sprinkler system when activated. The clean agent fire suppression solutions give minimal to no clean-up, allowing swift resumption of operations.
- Regardless of the requirements of your company needing the most cost-effective, green, or globally used fire suppression solutions, clean agent suppression systems can be tailored to suit these precise requirements.
- But, even with these clean agent systems, Novec 1230, FM-200, and Inert gas systems comprise precise concentration restrictions. Adequate design flow designs are needed to guarantee the number of gases being released for whichever agent is employed. This is confirmed by testing and certification labs who assign various types of values to specify the safety of clean agents and to offer guidelines in using them as per situations and requirements.
Contact an experienced player like Protekfs for advice on the best clean agent suppression system by analyzing the precise customer requirements. With more than 3 decades of experience, we offer safe and optimal design and installation services that suit your individual needs.